Thursday 13 February 2020

Funding Applications: O'Sullivan's Rules


I find myself, once again, mentioning these rules, in negotiations and in informal conversations.  And find I am getting quoted, but never cited...

People ask me if I have in mind the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition.  Not really - for one thing there are 285 Rules of Acquisition.  I make do with 3.

I quite like the First Rule of Acquisition - but I have broken it...

O'Sullivan's Rules belong in a different universe...

So, here they are...

Funding Applications:  O'Sullivan's 3 Rules

1.
You should apply for money to do only things that you really want to do...

The other 2 rules have to do with proportionality...

2.
There must be some sort of proportionality between the amount of work needed to get hold of the money and the amount of money achieved...

3.
There must be some sort of proportionality between the amount of money achieved and the amount of management work the money requires thereafter...

The interesting thing about these 3 rules is that they are broken all the time.

And I will leave you to reflect on the times you have broken O'Sullivan's Rules - and why you broke them...

Patrick O'Sullivan


No comments:

Post a Comment